Guiding so far
The Girl Guides movement had a tremendous growth
in Great Britain where a keen Guider, Miss Stacey,
was sent to Nigeria as a missionary. She introduced
guiding to a small group of girls in 1919 at Weslayan
Girls' High school, presently known as Methodist Girls
High School, Yaba, Lagos. Here, was where the girlguiding
began in Nigeria.
The first company was formed, with Late Lady Oyinkansola Morenike
Abayomi(Nee Ajasa), a teacher in the school, at the forefront of affairs.
other companies soon started springing up in different schools.
In 1920, an international conference was held in Oxford and the World
Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) was formed with
the budding Nigerian Girl Guides becoming a greenhorn member.
On October 17, 1923, a committee later to be known as Central Nigerian
Executive Committee was formed. That committee today is known as
council of the Nigerian Girl Guides Association.In the same year
through some efforts of Late Lady Oyinkansola Morenike
Abayomi, Nigeria became a full fledge member of the
In 1925, Late Lady Oyinkansola Morenike Abayomi was warranted
the first Captain of the first company by co-founder
of Girl Guides, Lady Baden Powell.
More so, in 1948, the foundation of the headquarters was laid at
25, Obalende Road, and the build was commissioned on the 22nd of
February, 1949 by Sir, John Macpherson, on the first Thinking day.
In 1950, Lady Powell visited key areas of Guides'interest in Nigeria.
These places are Calabar, Jos, Enugu, Ibadan, and Kaduna.
1955, the Girl Guides uniform which was formerly white was changed to blue.